I just completed “Secrets of a Prayer Warrior” by Derek Prince. It is a fantastic book!!! It is written so simply that nothing can be missed, and yet so profound with core Biblical principles and truths that every Christian needs to study and imbibe. I loved it!!! 😃
In this post, I’ve put together my notes from the book. By the time you finish reading this, you would have successfully completing another fantastic book. Shall we? Leggo!!! High five! ✋🏽😉
A family friend of Derek and his wife wrote about a very unusual experience that he and his wife had when they visited the Princes’s for lunch. According to him, every now and then, Derek’s wife would prompt, “I think we need to pray for so-and-so person(s)” and at once, in a most organic way, everyone would connect hands and Derek would say a simple and direct prayer, “Thank you Lord for this fellow, help them…” Still at the table, they could pray for someone or something else. That’s a good kind of weird if you ask me. In fact, I would say it is worth emulating when we consider how much impact our prayers have, compared to the usual “normal” dinner where we typically complain about the economy or chat about past events. Suffice it to say that Derek Prince was indeed a prayer warrior and the information he wrote in this book were based on revelation as well as experience.
Derek’s opening statement was “For my part, I love to pray; and what is more, I get what I pray for. And that is just what I’m going to teach you – how to pray and get what you pray for.” (Sounds gutsy, I love it! 😃) He further explained that the condition for getting what we pray for is to align ourselves with the Lord by taking delight in what pleases Him. Psalms 37:4. When we do so, prayer becomes like a blank cheque that God gifts us.
“Whenever we come to God, He does not scold us, He welcomes us.” (I love this one too! 🤭) A story that illustrates God’s absolute and continuous reception of us is the story of the Prodigal son. When we have this correct perspective of God’s personality, it amplifies our willingness to pray. Mark 11:24, Jn 14:13-14
“Prayer is one of the greatest opportunities, privileges and ministries.”
We are to take our place as priests in God’s kingdom by approaching God’s throne with our prayer requests. Others may not see you when you pray, but your life will count before God. “The people who rule the world are those who know how to pray.” 🔥
Steps to getting your prayers answered
- Come with reverent submission. “Not as I will but as You Lord will.” Replace your will with God’s. We must consistently ask, “Am I praying for this because I want it or because God wants it?”
- Have faith. Heb 11:6.
- Pray in Jesus’s name. John 15:7. When we pray in Jesus’s name, we come in the basis of who Jesus is.
- Approach God boldly (with confidence and without condemnation)
- Forgive those who hurt you.
- Be directed by the Holy Spirit.
- Praying in accordance with the Word of God. Know the scriptures, discover those exceeding great and precious promises.
“The Spirit of God and the word of God always work together, for a prayer to be effective.”
Different kinds of prayer
- Praying for our nation’s government is a top priority prayer for us Christians. We have no injunction in scripture to criticize our government, rather we have an obligation to pray for our leaders, pray against prejudice, injustice, bad governance.
- Our responsibility in the world is to give the world flavour. Flavour for who? For God. We are to make the world acceptable to God’s taste. We are the salt of the earth.
- God requires us to be humble, pray, seek God’s face (i.e. to pray until we know we’ve met him and the answer is on the way) and turn from our wicked ways.
- Praising God for His greatness and thanking him for all He’s done for us are gates. They are the ways we are encouraged in the Bible to approach God’s presence, and they are also weapons of warfare. Praise and thanksgiving are both vocal.
- Worship is an attitude or position of the body. Worship comes before, and is twice as important as service. Worship is a heart bowed low in God’s presence.
- Petition: Asking for things. Follow petitions up by thanking God continually for answering the request. In the matter of prayer, we also need faith and patience. Keep the plug in. Learn to make bold confessions in line with your faith.
- Intercession: This is one of the highest acts of the Christian life. It requires maturity and standing before the Lord on someone’s behalf. Here are four qualities of an intercessor: They must have an absolute conviction of God’s righteousness and judgement/justice. They must have a deep concern of God’s glory. They must be an intimate acquaintance with God. To be an intercessor requires holy boldness.
- Supplication: Supplicants pray for mercy and grace.
- Command: Joshua 10. Command prayers begin with first speaking to the Lord in prayer, then speaking to that circumstance/element/thing on God’s behalf.
- Commitment: If you commit something to the Lord, trust God and leave it.
- Dedication: This is similar to commitment but in this case, you are offering yourself to God, not something or someone.
- Miracle and Healing.
- Spiritual warfare.
The Blood of Jesus – Recommended confessions
- When you praise the name of Jesus, you shut the devil’s mouth.
- The devil’s work since after he was cast out of heaven is that of accusing God’s children before God. When we criticize ourselves or others, we join the devil to do his work. We must not criticize.
- We are accepted in the beloved, not because of what we are, but because of what Jesus is.
- Here is how to use the Blood of Jesus. Personally testify to what the Word of God says that the Blood of Christ does for you. Who should you testify to? Testify to Satan – your accuser. Some biblical testimonies and confessions that Derek recommends are as follows:
- “Through the Blood of Jesus, I am redeemed out of the hand of the devil. Through the blood of Jesus, all my sins are forgiven.” Eph. 1:7, Psalm 107:2.
- “The Blood of Jesus continually cleanses me from all sin.” 1 John 1:7. (Note that the condition for enjoying this benefit is that we must live in the light and stay in fellowship with other believers.)
- “Through the blood of Jesus, I am justified, made righteous, just as if I had never sinned.” [Rom 5:9]
- “Through the blood of Jesus, I am sanctified, made holy, set apart to God.” Heb 13: 12.
- “My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, redeemed, cleansed, sanctified by the blood of Jesus. Therefore, Satan has no place in me and no power over me through the blood of Jesus.”1 Cor 6: 19 (Condition: You must ensure that your body is for the Lord, especially that unruly part – the tongue.
- Here is a prayer of thanksgiving that Derek suggested to follow the confessions above. “Thank you for the precious blood of Jesus. Thank you for the redemptive blood of Christ. Thank you for the justifying, sanctifying, precious blood of the lamb of God. Blessed be the name of the Lord. I praise You Jesus for You paid the price of my redemption. You shed your precious blood on the cross. You are the lamb slain from the foundation of the world. And now Lord, I have taken the blood from the basin and transferred it to my own personal needs by the hyssop of my testimony, Amen.”
- Knowing God’s will for us or a situation should provoke us to a new measure of spiritual earnestness. We must persist in prayer.
In the concluding part of this book, Derek went into a powerful prophecy concerning the church of Jesus as a whole. He said that the body of Christ will bloom, she shall come forth and take her place on earth. He wrote about the spiritual and material prosperity that the church will experience, how the church will be very relevant to the world, and what the later days will look like. Such wonderful pictures of a glorious church to which I say Yes. Amen. So be it, Lord. Let Your kingdom come, and your will be done! 🙏🏽
I hope that you enjoyed reading Derek Prince’s “Secrets of a Prayer Warrior” with me? 😊 I happily recommend this book to anyone interested in learning about prayer.
Have a most FANtasTIC and BLESSed new week ahead! 💚